Tuesday, April 6, 2010

California Love?

Born and raised in Southern California my whole life and being an avid sports fan in the great city of Los Angeles, I cant help but to appreciate the numerous franchises we have. I came to realize this week though the amount of multiple southern California sports team we have for each respective sports in the NBA, (Lakers, Clippers) MLB, (Dodgers, Angels) and the NHL (Kings, Ducks)

I understand that their is a great deal of rivalry between inner city teams which is great for our city and adds to the competitive nature. But along with the love, I sense their is a deal of "not wanting" the other to succeed. I attended a Ducks game the past week and when the scoreboard posted that the Kings had lost, the arena erupted into cheer. Especially with the Ducks clearly out of playoff contention and the Kings on the verge, I would be upset as a fan in that I would hope at least one SoCal team could represent us in the playoffs.
When asked the question whether I'm a Dodgers/Angels fan, I'll reply that I am loyal to my Bluecrew, but with the pattern of the Dodgers making early exits from the playoffs I need another hometown team to support in the post season. I'd rather see an LA team win over other cities such as Boston or New York any day!

In head to head match ups and rivalries that exist throughout the season, support your respective LA team to the fullest, but outside of that I challenge you to have the same enthusiasm for all our hometown teams.

If you don't want to do it for me, at least do it for one of the most influential fallen rappers of our time who said it best.... "California Love!"

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with rooting for your hometown in general if your specific favorite team is out of the playoff run. But when we're talking about UCLA vs. USC and the Trojans are still in it to win it, I have to side with the other team. I can't help it for being a True Bruin. Great post, Ivan. Thanks for contributing!

    ReplyDelete